Thursday, April 12, 2012

Pincushion Tutorial

At a recent yard sale in my neighborhood, I came across a box of 6 mason jars for $1.  I find mason jars hard to resist.  I always buy mason jars when I see them, because they are so versatile.  I use them for storing craft supplies, in the pantry for dry goods, and they also make great drinking glasses!  As if you needed another reason to hoard the mason jar, I give you the Mason Jar Pincushion.





Mason Jar Pincushion Tutorial


  1. Mason jar
  2. Mason jar lid- both parts inner lid, outer ring
  3. White felt- any color you have is fine
  4. Fabric
  5. Polyfil
  6. Hot glue
Step 1
Cut a piece of felt into a circle the size of the inner part of the jar lid.  Cut a piece of fabric into a circle approximately 2 inches bigger than the inner part of the jar lid.  (Is it just me, or does the second picture look like a fried egg?)

Step 2
Glue a small amount of polyfil onto the top of the inner part of the jar lid with copious amounts of hot glue.



Step 3
Assemble a "sandwich" of materials in the following order, inner lid with glued polyfil, fabric circle, out lid ring.

Push the inner lid into place, forcing the polyfil to protrude beyond the outer ring.  Using hot glue, adhere the fabric to the underside of the inner lid.


More hot glue secures the circle of felt in place, thus finishing the piece by hiding the ends of the fabric.

Step 5
Stick pins into the top of the lid, and use the jar to hold sewing or craft supplies.




No comments:

Post a Comment