Thursday, June 7, 2012

A Whole New World: Globe Upcycle

Summer is the right time of year for hanging out by the pool and sipping a cocktail.  But I like to spend my days treasure hunting at garage and estate sales.  I attended a great little estate sale a few weeks ago.  A photo of a vintage globe in the online listing caught my eye.  Once I arrived, I made a beeline for the globe/stand I had seen in the photo.  However, it was in bad shape.  I bought it anyway because it was only $5, and I thought I might be able to fix it with a good cleaning and some touch-up paint.



Unfortunately, cleaning didn't help things at all.  In fact, more and more of the paper on the globe kept peeling off.  So I had to come up with a plan b.  I decided to just take all of the paper off.  I used the same concoction I typically use to remove wallpaper, one part vinegar to three parts water.


Next came the spray paint.  White gloss for the stand, and black chalkboard paint for the globe.  A few coats later (for each), and the end result is...



No comments:

Post a Comment