Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Salvaged Coat Hanger

I have my second contributor post to share with you today.  This project only takes a few hours and shouldn't cost much money.  By utilizing salvaged materials, you can make a Coat Hanger.


The supplies you will need are:


Water spigot knobs are easy to find at flea markets and usually cost a few dollars.  They can also be found on Etsy.  My pile has been collected over time, as I would find them out thrifting.  The wood board was a leftover scrap.  If you don't have any scrap wood around, you can buy this already precut at the hardware store.  They come in a variety of lengths.  Pick the right size for your space.


Rusty knobs were painted with several thin coats of spray paint.  I also added some stain to enhance the tone of the wooden board. Remember to always paint and stain in a well ventilated area.


Decide how many knobs you would like your coat hanger to have.  Four worked well on my board.  I used a yard stick to make sure they were evenly spaced.   The knobs are then screwed into the board, from the front.  The thickness of the board and the knob will determine the size of screw to use.  I also added a plastic spacer and/or washer to allow for space behind the knob where items can hang.  Each of my knobs had a different depth, so you may have to use a different configutaion on each.  I also didn't pre-drill my holes, but if you are using a wood that splits easily, you may opt to do that.


Find a place that could use some extra organization or storage, and hang it up.  Your salvaged coat hanger is done!


No comments:

Post a Comment