Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Cleaning Copper and a WINNER

I found this antique doorplate at a flea market a a few weeks ago.  It appeared to be copper, but was quite tarnished and grungy.  I liked the ornate detail and the not one but two keyholes.  I snatched it up for $1.  The seller asked me if I was from the TV show American Pickers.  UM....I wish!

Before

I did a little research online and found that you can clean copper with table salt and vinegar.  So I made a vinegar and salt paste that I applied to the copper, and scrubbed (and scrubbed, and scrubbed) with an old toothbrush.  I probably could have scrubbed even more, but I was getting impatient.  I rinsed with water and viola...


After

It looks so much better.  I'm not sure how I will repurpose it, but I am thinking about applying it to the front of a drawer to add some interest.  Anyone have any great ideas for this piece?
P.S. The winner of the Lucky Horseshoe giveaway is Artsy Nina.  Please email me at housevintage(at)gmail(dot)com with your shipping address to receive your prize.  Thanks to all who participated!


No comments:

Post a Comment