Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Q is for Quilt



I think every home needs a quilt.  There is just so much nostalgia and Americana wrapped up in these pieces and a soft, much-loved quilt is the perfect thing for summer picnics in the grass, or napping on a rainy afternoon.  Even if you don't consider your style to be country chic (which I don't) there is still a place for a quilt in your home. So I have been on the hunt for quite some time now for the perfect vintage quilt.    My search was over when these two beautiful quilts were gifted to me!  I just LOOOVE them!  Because I have never owned a quilt before, I needed to do some internet research on how to clean and care for them.  Most of what I read said that quilts must be hand washed, and air dried.  However which a little caution, I was able to clean mine in the washing machine...here is what I did.



DISCLAIMER:  Proceed with caution when using this method.  It is not the recommended cleaning technique for old quilts.  It is simply what worked for me.  Wash at your own risk!

  1. Check the condition of your quilt.  If there are any rips, tears, or holes repair them before doing any type of cleaning.
  2. Check to see if the colored portion of your quilt is color-fast, meaning the colors won't run.  Do not proceed if the quilt is not color-fast.
  3. Fill your washing machine with warm water, and a minimal amount of gentle laundry soap.
  4. Put one quilt into the water at a time.  Use your hands only...no agitation.
  5. Let the quilt soak if it is dirty or stained.
  6. Drain the water, and refill again without soap this time.  Let soak for a few minutes.
  7. Spin the quilt to remove excess water...remember to keep the quilt from agitating.
  8. Let the quilt air dry over the bathtub or outside on a clothes line.

No comments:

Post a Comment