Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Back Door Blues

I have hated our back door from the beginning.  It may look like an unassuming, typical door.  But it has been a pain in my neck since we moved in 4 years ago.  It all started with the inspector's report noting that the door was not fire-rated, and in fact not an exterior door at all.  


It appears that the previous owner of our house thought it was a grand idea to take an interior door, cut the bottom off (in a uneven fashion) and hang it up.  I suppose I could overlook the fact that this door could do absolutely nothing to save us if something in the garage spontaneously combusts.  But what I was unwilling to ignore was this gap.


You see, this gap allowed any little creature that found its way into the garage to waltz right on into our kitchen.  And based on the number of bugs and spiders I have had to kill relocate, our kitchen was prized real estate.


But I am thrilled to report that those days are over.  A new door is in place and most importantly, the great gap is gone! I had heard and further confirmed with some carpenter types that replacing a door  can be a difficult job.  I opted not to DIY this project was happy to pay the pros this time.


I know that the door will pay for itself in bug spray savings alone!
How about you...have you made any small changes that made a huge difference?  Or finally got around to a long awaited project?

2 comments:

  1. I had a simlar problem and was soooo happy to stop "relocating" those little critters. Looks good!

    xoxo, Tanya

    ReplyDelete