Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Making Time for Blogging

Blogging is a hobby for me.  A hobby that started as part distraction, and part creative outlet to fulfill needs that my day job can't.  While it is certainly a passion, it can't always be my first priority.  I have a full-time job (that pays the bills), a husband, a dog, friends, family, and the list goes on...I know you can relate. Sometimes it can be challenging to find the time to complete DIY projects and blog about them with family and work obligations.  And as much as I would like to devote all my hours to blogging, it just isn't feasible to neglect my other job's commitments.  So how does one balance work/life/blogging?  In the words of Project Runway mentor Tim Gunn, you just make it work. Here are a few of the ways I try to make it all work.


1.  Plan Ahead-  I wish I was one of those people that could come up with blog posts spontaneously.  It just doesn't work for me.  I need to plan what I will be writing about in advance.  I also need to create time in my schedule to complete projects and take photos.  I find that using a blog planning worksheet like this really helps.  It seems that finding time to photograph projects or vintage items for my Etsy store is the hardest.  Often times by the time I get home from work, it is too dark to get good pictures in natural light.  I try to schedule time on the weekends specifically or photographs, and take a batch of pictures at the same time.  A great blog planner like these can really help.

2.  Everything is Blog Worthy- Ok, not everything is blog worthy, but many of the things that you are already doing can provide great content.  If you are interested enough to blog about a particular topic, it is probably already a part of your life.  Keep your iPhone with you, or a quality point and shoot camera,  and you have all the ingredients for a post.  


3.  Set Manageable Expectations-  It took me a while to find my sweet spot in terms of the number of posts I can mange per week.  As much as I would like to post everyday, it is not a reality for me.  Blogging twice a week is perfect for me at this stage.  But that might not be enough for you, or it could be too much.  Find what works for you, and try not to compare yourself to other.  Be yourself!


4. Give Yourself a Break- If you don't feel like blogging...don't.  Your readers are not going to give up on you if you miss a post every now and then.  I try not to be hard on myself when things take a little longer than I had hoped. This is for fun after all!


Of course things don't always go according to your plan...so plan for the unexpected!  I am certainly not an expert, I am just sharing what works for me.  I'm interested to know how you make it all work...share your tips in the comments!





No comments:

Post a Comment