Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Cleaning Blinds: 2 Ways

While perusing the aisles of Target before the holidays I saw this Mrs. Meyer's Clean Day cleanser and mentioned casually to my hubby that I would like to try it.  Well  it ended up in my Christmas stocking. I guess he does occasionally listen to me :).  Cleaning supplies are the way to my heart!  I decided to use my new all purpose cleaner to tackle a project I have been dreading...cleaning my blinds.


When I was younger, I used to go to my Grandma's house and help her with her spring cleaning.  One thing we both disliked was cleaning her mini blinds.   It still is one of my least favorite chores.  So this time I decided I would try two different techniques to see what was most effective and efficent.

Technique #1- Blind Removal
I raised the blinds, so they were as compact as possible.  This made my blinds easier to move.  Otherwise they were quite awkward.  I took the blinds down, and put them into my bathtub filled with water and Mrs. Meyer's.  Once they are in the tub, you can extend them to clean.  
Note: My blinds are not real wood.  If you have wood blinds, do not put in water!  


Using a rag, I washed each slat.  Then a quick rinse, and into a clean storage tote that I used to transport the wet blinds.  It was a sunny day, so I let the blinds air dry outside.  I used this technique for about half of my blinds, and then I got tired.  Time for technique #2!


Technique #2- Clean While Hanging
I filled a bowl with water and Mrs. Meyer's.  Using a rag, I cleaned each slat, both front and back.  I also opened each slat to clean in between.


I really didn't see much difference between taking the blinds down, and just cleaning while they were hanging in terms of overall cleanliness.  It certainly was less work to not have to remove and replace the blinds.  

Do you have any blind cleaning tips?  Do you sometimes take the easy way out when cleaning like me?

Disclaimer:  I wasn't asked or paid to write about this product.  Just wanted to share with ya'll.

No comments:

Post a Comment