Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Estate Sale Finds- The Good, the Bad, and the Scary Edition

The weekends around these parts have been filled with thrifting lately.  I must admit attending estate sales and flea markets is one of my favorite things to do.  I come by it honestly.  When I was little my Grandma was the garage sale queen.  We would go almost every Saturday in the summer.  She would scour the newspaper for ads and plan out exactly which sales we would attend, and it what order to maximize our buying power.  It really was a lot of fun.  And it is fun that I still enjoy, even now.  I snapped a few pictures of what I saw, so you could live vicariously through me. You can thank me later!


This is a picture of a very small portion of clown items at an estate sale.  There were no fewer than 1,000 clowns in this house.  Anything that could have a clown on it, did, and it was all for sale.  I don't have a fear of clowns, but if a person did, this was not the sale for them.


In the back of the "clown house" was this set-up.  Typically I try not to judge the things that people owned.  I imagine what people will say about my junk when I die.  But this was disturbing, and I thought it best to leave at this point.  I didn't buy anything here...


On to an outdoor market...a few days later.  The yellow color of this chest and the addition of storage made this a great piece.  I could see it as a side table, or at the end of a child's bed.  The seller wanted $75.  I shopped around a little and came back towards the end of the day.  I was hoping he would be in more of a haggling mood.  The price was now $80.  I didn't buy it.


Look at these adorable doors.  I really wanted them!  How great would they be between the kitchen and the laundry room, or as the door to a child's room.  You could peek in on the kid without even opening the door!  But as I inspected them closer, I realized that they were very short.  A few feet shorter than average door height.  I'm not sure what they came off of, but decided that at $190, I wasn't willing to modify.  I probably should have bought them...


Now this I did buy!  A beautiful salvaged letter.  This one came from a dentist's office sign.


What thrifty finds have you seen lately?  Any items that left you feeling a bit frightened?

See more thrifty treasures here, here, and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment